PRESENTS FOR MYSELF

I have read everywhere about how to prepare for a newborn: what to buy, what not to waste money on, how many of each item baby will need, and how many different things you will need that pertain to the baby. What is in scarce supply in terms of reading materials is what mothers need to personally feel good once they have these babies. Everyone has heard that you can not take care of others until you take care of yourself.. and since 105% of your time and effort will go towards giving your undivided attention to this beautiful little blessing, I figure it might be a good idea to help boost your self esteem and comfortability along the way.





Here is a list I have compiled of miscellaneous things that I believe will help make the early days of motherhood much easier, and boost any mother's morale. This list is a combination both from reading up on what other mothers have recommended, and things I know I would personally enjoy.

Keeping in mind that through composing this list I thought of a few key points: people coming over to visit me and the baby (except really just the baby), trying to look minimally presentable while said people are over, and also trying to make myself feel like I might have some sort of attraction left to send my man's way when he sees me after a long day of work. Perhaps those are some points that don't appeal to you, or you couldn't care less for. And if that happens to be you then you have every right to feel exactly as you do. Everyone is different, and entitled to their own opinion.

House Coat/Robe. This is an item that most people will already have. If you don't have one, or are like me and desperately need a new one, I believe now would be the time. Robes are a great way to visually cover up your freshly puked on clothing, or just mask the ridiculous outfit you're comfortable strutting around your house in, but not necessarily your guests. Throw one of these bad boys on and your outfit is made over in 2 seconds flat.

The one I currently have my eye on is the Victoria's Secret Sleepover Cotton Knit Robe, $45.00. It comes in some beautiful colours, my favourites being Heather Grey and Ruby Wine.

Candles. Now I know burning a candle around a baby might be frowned upon by quite a few mothers. Some people are totally against it, and some people are downright obsessed. I fall somewhere in between. Due to the amount of negative aspects of burning a candle, I have severely cut back on my usage.. but I will always love the beautiful smell, the soft glow, and the calming nature of a burning flame. That being said, I have done my research to find a safe candle that also smells terrific. Origins sells one that smells absolutely terrific, and is made from 100% soy wax, with the wick being 100% cotton. The smell is a combination of orange, ginger and amber, giving off a warm sensual, clean, and comforting scent. I love how cozy it makes any room feel, and with that being said I plan to only burn it in my personal office which has doors that close it off from the rest of the house, ensuring my little baby girl doesn't come into contact with anything.

The name is the Warm Up Candle from Origins and it is $42.00 at Department stores, The Bay if you live in Canada and Macy's if you're in USA.


Lounge Clothes/Pyjamas. I will be the first to admit that my clothing attire around the house is far below the standard of attractive. Not even remotely cute. Knowing that I will probably feel a little ballooned to begin with, and having just pushed a human life out of my once slender body, I am prepared to feel totally physically not myself. Considering I was embarrassed to be seen in these "lounge clothes" when I was a fit and slim little duck, I assume adding childbirth and new motherhood to the mix isn't going to have me feeling too hot if someone decides to stop their friendly butts on by my place. For my sake and everyone else's, I have decided maybe some cute lounge attire is needed. Loose, comfortable fabrics with a lot of forgiving lines and maximum comfort are what I am going for. My favourite stores for this type of attire would have to be The Gap, and Victoria's Secret.

The Sleepover Knit Pajama from Victoria's Secret in Ruby Wine (yes I clearly enjoy that colour) or in Black are my go-to's. Canadian these cost $54.50.

The Afterhours Satin Pajama from Victoria's Secret seem like a lovely luxurious experience for days when I really feel like spicing things up. I think I'd go for the Black or Grey. Splurge for $69.50.

The Gap's Pure Body Straight Leg Pants literally called out my name when I saw them. Therefore I will own 5 pairs by the time baby darling is born. $39.95 ladies.

The Gap's Simple Pants. Just by the name alone, how could you go wrong? Price doesn't hurt too bad either at $29.95.

Comfy Slippers. Not just for the fact that I love to have my feet covered when walking around, but it is also better on your back and joints to have some sort of cushion on your feet rather than just being bare foot. Also, my baby is due in December and in Canada that means super cold weather. Since I can not afford to get sick especially with a new baby around, I have decided this item is a top priority. Slippers for everyday and some comfy socks for lounging are probably going to have me being a happy, toasty camper this winter.

SoftMoc has the Women's Galaxie III Black Open Back Slippers provide warmth and protection that I'll need. They are $69.99.

Indigo carries lovely socks that are nice to wear when lounging around the house and relaxing, without having to actually put anything on or take anything off every time you want to stand up off the couch or bed. Cabled Cozy Reading Socks make me want to cuddle up in front of the fire place with a big piece of pie and my baby by my side. Probably will never happen but I can wish right? $29.50.

So there you have it, my post delivery wish list. These are all purely things for my enjoyment and in no way necessary. I feel like as a disclaimer I should point out that I do not know how things will go for me or how I will feel, all I can do is hypothesize based on how I have lived my life up until now.

Happy day or night to you all!

No comments: